Trees are living things, and when they mature, there is no other way out apart from harvesting them. Harvesting of trees leaves behind stumps; these can be a health hazard as well as a nuisance in your home compound or lawn. “Who wants to see protruding stumps in the compound every time you look from the window? Most likely none.”
The time is over of looking at the stumps and feeling unease. We shall present a do it yourself method of getting them out of your sight. However, if they are many and you feel like you can’t do it yourself, then we shall also be pointing out the best options for such situations. The experts at www.davey.com should help as well.
Start getting rid of the stumps now.
Use chemical to get rid of them
It is the damn simple method that you will ever come across. Get a chainsaw, some potassium nitrate, kerosene, an ax and a drill.
- Drill the holes from both the sides and the top diameter of the stump and ensure the holes are slanted towards the ground at a 45 degrees angle.
- Add potassium nitrate and add some water.
- Allow the solution to soak into the stamp for some 5 to 6 weeks.
- By the end of this time, the fibers are completely broken, and you will just need an ax to cut the stump apart as if it is a spongy substance.
- You can pour the kerosene and oil over the stump and allow it to sit for another one week or set it on fire immediately and let it burn until no more is left.
- Use a fork to remove the burnt charcoals and fill the resulting hollow space with soil.
You have just got rid of the stump, “wasn’t that easy?”
Use high nitrogen substances
These are meant to weaken the stump by decomposing it off and leaving no hard elements which require shovel or ax to get rid of them.
For effective application of nitrogen substances, you need to drill holes and then add water until the stump is fully soaked.
You can use the ax to chip off the pieces of the stump as they soften to speed up the removal process.
Grinding the stump away
If you don’t have a grinder, it will only make economic sense to hire one and do the work yourself or pay someone else to do the job with your leased machine. If all that doesn’t work, you can hire stump removal companies, but these are a bit expensive though the beauty and safety of your compound come first.
Clear all the debris around the base of the stump and remove any visible stones.
Use your chainsaw to level the stump so that its top section comes down as much as possible.
Use the hydraulic levers to raise the wheel of the grinder and once it is on the stump, lower it down and start moving it forward and back until the base gets below the ground.
Remove the stump by hand.
Being the last method, it is the real test for strength as you will need to apply effort in getting rid of the stump.
- You will need an ax, a shovel, a chainsaw, a truck and a chain or a thick rope.
- Make the area around the stump clean and remove as much soil as possible to expose the roots of the stump.
- Break the roots from the stump by cutting them apart using the chainsaw.
- Tie the rope on the exposed roots and stump, one at a time and use your truck to pull and push the stump in different directions.
- These alternating actions will make the stump weak until at one point it will just get uprooted by the pulling force from the truck.
Tree stumps should not be any more of a bother as you have seen that it is quite simple to get rid of them.